Vanilla Chai Bread Pudding
The aromatic spices of cinnamon, cardamom and star anise give this inviting bread pudding an exotic twist. Made with Lactantia® Lactose Free 2% Milk and Lactantia® 35% Whipping Cream.
- 40 mins prep
- 20 mins cook
- 6 - 8 servings
- 5 cups Lactantia® Lactose Free 2% Milk
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 6 tbsp apple butter
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cadamom
- 3 star anise
- 3 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 9 cups challah bread (or other egg bread), cubed
- 1 ½ cup Lactantia® Lactose Free 35% Whipping Cream
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon for garnish
- Cooking spray as needed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a heavy bottom pot, heat the Lactantia® Lactose Free milk with the star anise, cinnamon, cardamom, and vanilla. Once it comes to a boil, remove from the heat and let steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the milk mixture and place back in the pot. Heat the milk mixture again bringing it to a simmer.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, eggs, apple butter and salt.
- Slowly add in the hot milk, tempering the eggs (by adding the liquid in slowly and continuing to whisk, prevents the eggs from cooking). Stir in the bread cubes.
- Pour the bread mixture into a 9-inch x11-inch baking dish that is sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes, until a knife inserted comes out clean. Let cool.
- In an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, whip the Lactantia® Lactose Free 35% Cream. Add in the icing sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until you get stiff peaks.
- To serve, top with the whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.