Basil Vanilla Crème Brûlée
An infusion of basil elevates this classic dessert made with Lactantia® Lactose Free 2% Milk and Lactantia® Lactose Free 35% Whipping Cream. Garnish with a fresh sprig of basil for an elegant presentation.
- 20 mins prep
- 20 mins cook
- 6 servings
- 1 cup Lactantia® Lactose Free 2% Milk
- 1 cup Lactantia® Lactose Free 35% Whipping Cream
- ½ cup fresh basil, ripped
- 1 vanilla bean, cut in half with seeds removed and saved
- 7 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar, plus 4 tbsp for sprinkling
- In a heavy bottomed pot, bring Lactantia® Lactose Free Milk and Lactantia® Lactose Free 35% Whipping Cream to a boil.
- Add in the basil and vanilla bean (including vanilla seeds) and turn the heat off. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Strain the milk mixture and reheat it until it comes to a boil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, vanilla and sugar.
- Once the milk mixture is boiling, slowly pour the liquid into the egg mixture, while continuously whisking to avoid cooking the eggs.
- Pass the mixture through a sieve and place into a clean pot. Cook on medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, and divide evenly into 6 ramequins. Place the ramequins in a large baking dish or roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan with hot water to go half way up the sides of the ramequins.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Then refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Once cooled, sprinkle 2 tbsp of sugar on each ramequin and place under the broiler until browned on top. You can also use a blow torch.