Lactantia® European Buttery Croissants
- 12 - 15 mins prep
- 45 mins cook + Rest time: 4 hrs or more
- 8 servings
Make croissants ahead of time, freeze on a baking sheet then store in a freezer bag until ready to bake.
Roll shredded cheese or a bit of chocolate in croissants for a variation.
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) sugar
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Lactantia® 3.25% PūrFiltre Milk, warmed
(110-115°F / 43- 45 °C)
- 2 cups plus 3 tbsp (550 ml plus 45 ml) strong bread flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) Lactantia® European Style Butter, Unsalted, cold, diced
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) water
- pinch of salt
- In small bowl, combine sugar and yeast. Then, Add warmed Lactantia® PūrFiltre milk and stir. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in Lactantia® European Style butter until it is in pea- sized pieces.
- In a mixer bowl fitted with a dough hook, combine milk and flour mixtures; blend for 3 to 5 minutes or until a ball forms. Make sure it comes away from the side of the bowl clean.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 2 to 3 times until it becomes a rectangle. Wrap dough with plastic and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
- Once dough has rested, dust work surface with flour and roll dough into a large rectangle about 12 x 9 inch (30 x 23 cm). Fold each short end to meet in the middle. Rotate dough by 1/4 turn and roll slightly to lengthen. Fold short sides to middle again. Flip dough so seams are underneath. Repeat this process 3 more times for a total of 4 folds. This is what gives your croissants a flakey texture.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and place on a baking sheet. Let dough rest for 2 hours or even overnight.
- On a floured surface, roll dough into a 20 x 12 inch (50 x 30 cm) rectangle; cut dough crosswise on an angle into 8 triangles. Cut small slit in the wide end and gently stretch it. Roll it to a point and tuck the end underneath. Place croissants, evenly spaced on a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover loosely with plastic. Let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until just about double in size.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a small bowl, combine egg, water and salt; lightly brush each croissant.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until crispy golden brown. Let cool for ten minutes and serve.