Salted Caramel Glazed Doughnuts
For an indulgent snack, bite into these sweet and salty doughnuts made with Lactantia® Lactose Free 2% Milk and Lactantia® Lactose Free 35% Whipping Cream.
- 15 mins prep
- 30 mins cook + 1 hr rest
- 10 - 12 servings
- 2 cups flour + 1 cup separated
- 2 packets quick rising yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup Lactantia® Lactose Free 2% Milk
- 4 tbsp canola oil
- 4 egg yolks
- Canola oil, enough for frying
- 2 tsp maldon salt
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp corn syrup
- ½ cup Lactantia® Lactose Free 35% Whipping Cream
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine 1 cup of flour, the yeast, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Heat the Lactantia® Lactose Free Milk and vanilla to a simmer. Add it to the flour mixture with the oil.
- On low speed, using your paddle attachment, mix the ingredients and add in the yolks. Continue mixing while adding the remaining flour until a dough forms.
- Switch to your hook attachment and let the mixer knead the dough for 4-6 minutes, until the dough is soft and elastic.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into ½” thick circle.
- Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out as many doughnuts as possible. Using a 1-inch cookie cutter, cut out the center. Knead the scraps back together, roll out again, and cut into a second batch of doughnuts.
- Place the doughnuts on a greased parchment-lined baking sheet, 3-inch apart. Cover the tray and let rise for one hour.
- Place the water, sugar, and corn syrup in a small heavy bottom pot. Bring to a boil and continue cooking until the sugar turns an amber colour.
- Add in the coconut oil and mix with a whisk. Slowly add in the Lactantia® Lactose Free 35% Whipping Cream while mixing continuously with a whisk.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Set aside.
- Set your deep fryer to 350°F.
- Fry the doughnuts 1 to 3 at a time, turning as needed for 2-3 minutes.
- Once cooked, let cool on a cooling rack.
To serve: dip in glaze, sprinkle with maldon salt.