Eggs Poached in Buttery Puttanesca Sauce
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serves: 6
Poached in a zesty tomato sauce, these easy and impressive eggs make the perfect brunch dish.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Lactantia® Unsalted Butter, divided
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) halved pitted black and green olives
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) capers
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) anchovy paste
- 1 jar (680 mL) strained puréed tomatoes (passata)
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Melt 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter in high-sided skillet set over medium heat; cook olives, capers, shallots, garlic, oregano and hot pepper flakes, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until shallots and garlic are slightly softened. Add tomato paste and anchovy paste; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Crack eggs into sauce. Dot with remaining butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes for soft-cooked eggs or until cooked as desired. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with crusty bread.
Serve with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.