Eggnog Cheesecake with Spiced Butter Caramel Sauce
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes (+ 6 hours standing time)
- Serves: 12
This holiday eggnog cheesecake is drizzled with a nutmeg butter caramel for a festive finish.
- 1 1/3 cups (375 mL) graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Lactantia® Butter – Salted Sticks, melted
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Lactantia® 35% whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 4 pkg (8 oz/250 g each) Lactantia® Original Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) dark rum
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5 mL) freshly grated nutmeg (or 1/2 tsp/2 mL ground)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) granulated sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Lactantia® Butter – Salted Sticks, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Lactantia® 35% whipping cream
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5 mL) freshly grated nutmeg or 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Cheesecake Crust: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Stir together graham crumbs and sugar; toss with melted butter until well combined. Press firmly into bottom of 9-inch (23 cm) springform cake pan; bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Let cool completely.
- Cheesecake Filling: Reduce heat to 325°F (160°F). In small bowl, stir together sour cream and cream. Whisk in flour until smooth; set aside.
- In electric stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in sugar, rum, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and egg yolks, one at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition. Pour into prepared crust.
- Set pan on rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 65 to 70 minutes or until centre is almost set, but still jiggles slightly. Run knife around rim of pan. Let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Caramel Sauce: Meanwhile, in heavy-bottom saucepan set over medium heat, combine 3 tbsp (45 mL) of the sugar and 1 tbsp (15 mL) water. Without stirring, cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until uniformly golden colour. Continue to cook, adding sugar 1 tbsp at a time, for 6 to 8 minutes or until blended and mixture starts to caramelize to golden brown colour (if sugar starts to brown unevenly, gently swirl pan). Swirl in butter until melted. Add cream; cook for 1 minute or until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon. Let cool completely.
- Just before serving, drizzle half of the caramel over cheesecake. Slice cake; serve with remaining caramel.
Garnish each slice with a dollop of whipped cream; drizzle with more caramel and a dusting of freshly grated nutmeg if desired.