Brown Butter Shortbread Cookies
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
(+ 1 hour 30 minutes standing time)
- Makes: 24 cookies
Brown butter adds a nutty flavour and lovely crisp texture to these shortbread cookies.
- 1 cup (250 mL) Lactantia® Butter – My Country Unsalted Sticks, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Lactantia® Purefilter 3.25% whole milk, cold
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 2 1/4 cups (550 mL) cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) strawberry jam or jelly
- Heat butter in large skillet set over medium-high heat, swirling pan for 5 to 7 minutes or until butter stops frothing and turns light brown colour. Transfer to electric stand mixer; stir in milk. Refrigerate uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until firm.
- Using paddle attachment, beat butter mixture, and granulated and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Add flour, vanilla and salt, beating on low speed for about 2 minutes or until dough comes together.
- Divide dough into two portions; shape each portion into disk. Wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Roll out each portion of dough between two sheets of parchment into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick rectangle. Cut into 2-inch (5 cm) squares. Place on parchment paper–lined baking sheets, about 2 inches (5 cm) apart.
- Using fork, prick tops of each cookie twice. Bake one sheet at a time, for 18 to 20 minutes or until pale golden on the bottom. Let cool completely on baking sheet on rack. (Can be stored in airtight container for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 2 months.)
- To serve, dollop 1 tsp (5 mL) of jam or jelly over each cookie.
Sprinkle coarse, turbinado or coloured sugar over cookies before baking.