Savoury Egg and Cheese Tart
- 45 - 55 mins prep
- 45 mins cook
- 6 servings
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) Lactantia® Tomato Basil Butter, cold, diced
- 2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 to 3 tbsp (30 to 45 ml) cold water
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Lactantia® Tomato Basil Butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups (375 ml) Lactantia® 35% Whipping Cream
- 2 tsp (10 ml) pesto
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) Black Diamond® Mozzarella Cheese, grated
- Use a pastry blender or two knives to cut Lactantia® Tomato Basil Butter into flour until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Use a large bowl for this. Add water and stir with a fork until mixture comes together. Mold dough into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 °F (200°C). On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-inch (3 mm) thickness so that it fits into a 10-inch (25 cm) fluted tart shell. Trim edges. Line with foil or parchment paper; fill evenly with dry beans or pie weights. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool crust on wire rack. Once cooled, remove beans and foil.
- Meanwhile, melt Lactantia® Tomato Basil Butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion for about 3 to 4 minutes, until it becomes translucent. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, Lactantia® cream and pesto.
- Place crust on a baking sheet. Layer bottom of crust with onions and Black Diamond® cheese; pour egg mixture over. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven, for 40 to 45 minutes or until mixture is set and no longer jiggles. Serve and enjoy.