Salted Caramel Shortbread Bars
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serves: 8
With buttery shortbread, a rich salted caramel centre and crumble topping, these decadent bars are irresistible.
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Lactantia® Salted Butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) flaked sea salt
Salted Caramel Shortbread Bars:
- 1 cup (250 mL) Lactantia® Salted Butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour, sifted
- Salted Caramel: Place sugar in heavy-bottomed saucepan set over medium heat; cook, without stirring, for 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown, swirling pan gently if sugar is browning unevenly.
- Stir in butter and cream; bring to boil. Boil for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened slightly. Stir in vanilla and salt; let cool completely.
- Salted Caramel Shortbread Bars: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Line 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan with enough parchment paper to overhang edges; set aside.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla; stir in flour in 2 additions.
- Press two-thirds of the shortbread mixture into bottom of prepared pan; freeze for 10 minutes. Wrap remaining shortbread in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Spread caramel over shortbread base. Crumble remaining shortbread mixture over caramel. Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Let cool completely before cutting into bars.
Drizzle dark chocolate over bars if desired.