Greek Butter Cookies with Pistachios
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
(+ 15 minutes cooling time)
- Makes: 40
Traditionally known as kourabiedes, these Greek cookies are simple, delicious – and perfect for celebrating!
- 1 cup (250 mL) Lactantia Butter – Salted Quarters, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar (approx)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brandy, cognac or ouzo
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- 3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) chopped toasted pistachios
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter for 3 to 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add icing sugar gradually, scraping down sides as needed. Stir in egg yolk, brandy, and vanilla until smooth.
- Whisk together flour, pistachios and baking powder. Fold into butter mixture; knead until mixture comes together to form dough.
- Scoop and roll dough into 40 crescent shapes. Place on prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Bake on top and bottom racks of oven, rotating and switching pans halfway through, for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly golden. Let cool slightly.
- Add icing sugar to shallow bowl. Toss cookies in icing sugar until well coated. Let cool completely, then toss in icing sugar again.
To make ahead, cookies can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.