Great Canadian Maple Butter Tarts
Tip: For runny butter tarts use the shorter cooking time.
- 15 - 18 mins prep
- 30 mins cook
- 12 servings
- 2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) ground walnuts
- 1 cup (250 ml) Lactantia® Maple Flavoured Butter, cold, cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) ice water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) golden syrup
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Lactantia® Maple Flavoured Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) white vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) toasted chopped walnuts (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine flour and ground walnuts. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut into Lactantia® Maple flavoured butter until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- In small bowl, whisk egg yolk and ice water and add pinch of salt. Add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork until pastry forms a ball (careful not to over mix).
- Shape dough into a small disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm but not hard.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). On lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to 1/4-inch (5 mm) thickness. Using 4-inch round or fluted cookie cutter, cut out 12 circles. Press each circle into muffin cups and refrigerate while preparing filling.
- In medium bowl, vigorously mix together, golden syrup, Lactantia® Maple flavoured butter, sugar, eggs, vinegar, vanilla and walnuts (if using).
- Spoon filling into pastry shells until two-thirds full. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until filling is puffed and pastry is golden.