Creamy One-Pot Chickpea, Spinach and Chorizo Stew
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Serves: 4
Loaded with comforting goodness, this one-pot stew delivers a quick and easy dinner that’s hearty, rich and flavourful.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Lactantia® Salted Butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) Lactantia® 35% Cooking Cream
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 12 oz (375 g) cured chorizo sausage, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) black pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 4 cups (1 L) packed chopped spinach
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (250 mL) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- In large Dutch oven or saucepan set over medium heat, melt Lactantia® Salted Butter. Add carrot, celery, onion, chorizo, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes or until chorizo starts to brown and vegetables start to soften.
- Stir in tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add spinach and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes or until wilted. Stir in chickpeas, broth and Lactantia® 35% Cooking Cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and flavours are married.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.
If preferred, substitute cured chorizo with fresh chorizo or Italian sausage; broil or grill sausages to render the fat and then slice before adding to stew.
Cannellini (white kidney) beans, Great Northern beans or kidney beans can all be used in this stew in place of chickpeas.
Just before serving, drizzle with extra cream for added creaminess and an extra punch of wow.
Serve stew with crusty bread, pasta, wild rice, brown rice, farro or quinoa.