Breaded Eggplant in a Rosé Sauce
For a tasty main or a hearty side, try these crispy eggplant medallions served with a homemade rosé sauce made with Lactantia® Lactose Free 2% Milk.
- 25 mins prep
- 20 mins cook
- 5 servings
- 1 eggplant, cut into 12 slices
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups breadcrumbs
- ½ cup canola oil as needed for frying
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 x 796 ml can diced tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup Lactantia® Lactose Free 2% Milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 12 basil leaves
- Preheat the oven the 375°F.
- Place the eggplant slices on a cooling rack above a baking sheet and sprinkle them with salt. Let them sit for 10 minutes.
- Place three plates on the counter. The first plate should have the flour. The second should have the eggs, while the third should have the breadcrumbs mixed with Italian seasoning.
- Dip each eggplant slice in each dish starting with flour, egg, and breadcrumbs.
- In a large nonstick pan on medium heat, bring the oil up to a temperature for frying. Start with 3 tbsp of oil. Shallow fry each eggplant slice, then place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- For the sauce: in a large pot, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add in the white wine and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes and Lactantia® Lactose Free Milk. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Thicken the sauce with the cornstarch. Mix the cornstarch with water to form a slurry. Stir it in while the sauce is simmering.
- Serve by placing sauce on a platter and top with eggplant and basil leaves.