Pumpkin Pie with Maple Walnut Crust
- 40 - 45 mins prep
- 45 mins cook
- 8 servings
- 1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) finely ground walnuts (walnut meal)
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Lactantia® Maple Flavoured Butter, cold, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) ice water
- 1 can (14 oz/398 ml) pure pumpkin puree
- 1 can (14 oz/398 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp (10 ml) pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, stir together, flour, walnuts and salt. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in Lactantia® Maple flavoured butter until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Blend in water with a fork until dough forms being careful not to over mix.
- Flatten dough into a disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for two hours or overnight.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, yolks, egg, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to 1/8-inch (3 mm) thickness and fit into 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate, leaving 1/2- inch (1 cm) overhang. Crimp edges.
- Pour filling into shell and tap lightly to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 15 minutes to set filling. Reduce oven to 350°F (180°C) and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely on wire rack before serving.