Macaroni and Cheese Fritters
If you thought macaroni and cheese couldn’t get any better, this is the recipe for you! We’ve kicked this classic comfort food up a notch with Lactantia® 10% Cream, a spicy chipotle aioli and crispy fritter coating.
- 40 mins prep
- 15 mins cook
- 10 servings
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups Lactantia® Half and Half 10% Cream
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked macaroni
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ cups seasoned breadcrumbs
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped to a purée
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
- In a medium size pot, heat the oil and add in the onions over medium heat and gently sautée for a minute to extract the flavours. Stir often to avoid getting too much colour.
- Add in the flour, and cook the roux (flour and oil) for a few minutes.
- Slowly pour in the Lactantia® 10% Half & Half Cream while whisking vigorously to avoid lumps.
- Once the mixture is thick and smooth, add in the salt and white pepper and continue to gently cook for a few more minutes.
- Sprinkle in the cheese, while continuing to whisk. Slowly add in the chicken stock until desired thickness is achieved.
- In a bowl, mix together the cooked macaroni and the cheese sauce with ¼ cup of the seasoned breadcrumbs and ¼ cup of the flour, and let cool.
- Set up your breading station with three plates: plate 1 for flour, plate 2 for eggs beaten, plate 3 for seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Once macaroni mixture is cooled, form into patties and place in the flour plate to coat. Then, place in egg and end in the breadcrumbs.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat your oil on medium heat
- Once oil is hot enough, take each fritter, and sear on all sides.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve with chipotle aioli.
- In a bowl, mix together the mayo, lemon juice, and chopped chipotle pepper. Adjust seasonings and refrigerate.