Béchamel Sauce – 3 Ways
A traditional béchamel sauce adds rich flavour to any pasta dish. Whether you prepare it plain, with cheese or mushrooms, Lactantia® Lactose Free Milk makes this sauce easy for everyone to enjoy.
Can also be made with Lactantia® 2% PūrFiltre Milk.
- 30 mins prep
- 10 mins cook
- 2.5 - 3 servings
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups Lactantia® Lactose Free Milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- ½ cup shredded dairy free cheddar
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 x 14g package of dried mushrooms
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ¼ chopped parsley
- In a medium size pot, over medium heat, heat the oil and add in the onions.
- Gently sautee the onions for a minute to extract the flavours, stirring often to avoid getting too much colour. Add in the flour, and cook the roux (flour and oil) for a few minutes.
- Slowly pour in the Lactantia® Lactose Free Milk while whisking vigorously to avoid lumps.
- Once the mixture is thick and smooth, add in the salt and white pepper and continue to gently cook for a few more minutes.
Variation 1 – Cheese Sauce
- Put the béchamel sauce back in the pot and sprinkle with cheese, while continuing to whisk.
- Slowly add in the chicken stock until desired thickness is achieved. Sprinkle with fresh chives.
Variation 2 – Cream of Mushroom Soup
- In a spice grinder or coffee grinder, grind the dried mushrooms into a powder.
- Heat the stock on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Add in the dried mushrooms and let cook for a few minutes.
- Add in the strained béchamel sauce and adjust seasonings.
- Mix in parsley and serve.